Sunday, November 2, 2008

Fingers and Ankles


It was at around 7:30am of October 31, 2008 when I sent an SMS to my mom informing her that we will go home to Los Banos on either October 31 late night of November 1 early morning for All Saint's Day. I was on a bus going to the office then. It was also only then when I realized that mom was in the emergency room of Los Banos Doctors' Hospital, having her broken right middle finger stitched.


Mom accidentally banged her finger at our backdoor while preparing for the office. Good thing the bone was not affected but lots of blood were lost. She needed to remove the fingernail and had 3 stitches around her middle finger. So pity! :(


That night, were were all prepared to go home to LB. We intentionally plan to go late at night to avoid the heavy traffic jam due to the holiday. When we were set to go leave at around 10pm, the car engine didn't start. We have no choice but to set home early morning of November 1.

I woke up early on the Saturday morning of November 1. At 5:30 am, I was fixing our things we need to bring home. As I got something from the travelling nested on the lower part of the stairs and was set to go to the toilet to take a bath, I thought I was already on the ground floor, when in fact, I still need to take 2 steps down. Having my foot ready for a flat floor but in fact still elevated, I fell down and twisted my ankle. My husband saw me and tried to help me stand up but I can't! I was in severe pain and told him that I'd rather sit on the floor for a few minutes. this time, I felt blood rising to my head. I felt through my lips that I was about to faint. I see the surrounding getting dimmer and dimmer. I felt a bit dizzy until I only see darkness even with my eyes opened. I can feel cold perspiration coming out of my pores so I just lied down on the floor. After a few minutes of trying to get my full consciousness back, I stood up slowly and transferred to the sofa in the living room. I can feel pain on my ankle as I walk towards the living room. I lied there for a few minutes and when I felt ok, I went to the toilet to take a bath.

After taking a bath, I noticed that my right inner ankle was swollen and I was in severe pain. I decided to have an x-ray, thinking there were some dislocated joints but I planned to have it in LB. And so we set home and went straight to the LBDH emergency room right after dropping off my family in the cemetery to spend November 1 with my dad.




When I reached LBDH, there were only few people there, for it was a holiday. Good thing there was 1 general physician there who was able to check me up. However, he just prescribed me to have some ankle support and and some pain relievers. I can't have my x-ray done for there was no radiologist to interpret the results. I just settled for pain relievers and an ankle support.



Even in severe pain, I still tried my best to go to my Dad's grave in the cemetery. It was a very long walk from the cemerety gate to the exact site but I tried to bear the pain. My husband held me as I walked lamely. The 10-minute walk became a 30-minute journey, just to spend the holiday with my dad.



On the second day, my ankle was more swollen and dark spots started to emerge. These were bruises caused by the forceful stretching of the muscles.


Right now, I am stucked here at home. I can't go out to see the doctor. I can't walk to get a public transportation but I neither can't drive to the hospital. SO I had no choice but to wait here at home, do paper works, emails and attend webcast meetings through the intranet. It really was a good thing that I had my Unilever laptop with me so I can deliver my work offsite.





-maron-
03november2008
10:40hrs

No comments: