Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ring Back


It was in August 21 that I lost a very precious item of mine. I very seldom lose things for I always take care of them. I never left and lost an umbrella somewhere, for example. Before I leave a place, I make sure that I have checked everything I own. But this time, I lost an 'engagement ring' my husband had given me on December 18, 2003 at the roofdeck of Vivere Suites in Alabang.



I always wore that ring from then on, together with our wedding ring and a ring from my Indonesian friend that I used to lock my wedding ring with. After more than five years, I lost it somewhere!



I can still clearly remember that day when I needed to go with 2 Thai visitors as they take a tour at Third Party Plant inside the Office compound. My boss asked me a favor to join them, and so I did. As we entered the Savoury plant, we needed to be in complete gear---head caps, lab gowns, shoe cover and all jewelries off! I put my earrings, watch and rings inside my jeans pocket. One of the visitors, whom I already considered as my second mom for we were together in Shanghai last year, also asked a favor to put her jewelries in my pocket for her pants do not have one. And so I granted the favor. I was actually very cautious for I was afraid to lose her elusive jewelries. And so we had the plant tour for an hour.



I was a good time-keeper then. I kept on reminding them about the time for they still need to transfer to the other plant, around 1 ½ hrs from Manila before they go to the airport and go back home to Thailand.



After the plant tour I cautiously took everything from my pocket. I wore mine and gave back the set of jewelries to the visitor. And so the day continued as I fetched them to the car going to the other plant then continued my typical office day’s work.



When I reached home, I used to take off all my jewelries as I change to more comfy clothes. I suddenly realized that I just took 2 rings off! My diamond ring was gone! I was so sad then. I ran to my husband, who was sleeping then, and told him that my ring was lost. He had no reaction and immediately went back to sleep, butfor sure he was mad at me for losing a precious item he gave to me. I was so sad that I sent SMS to my friend and told him about my situation. He can very much feel my misery in my text messages.



I tried hard to recall where I left and lost it. I sent SMS to the production people and ask them to try to find the ring in the ‘used gown’ bin. They replied and told me that they did not find one.
The next day, I asked one of our janitress to ask the one assigned in the building near the plant to check if she can find a ring somewhere. I was really desperate to bring it back but at the same time, I had to accept that it has already vanished. Days after that, I noticed that my husband doesn’t talk to me at all.



Four days after the ring was lost, I needed to leave for a 3-day office activity in Baguio City. My husband and I did not have a chance to talk until my 2nd day when he sent me an SMS. It said he did not fell well about the disappearance of the ring, that it seems that there was no importance for me, etc. In short, we had an argument through SMS. I didn’t pay much attention to it for I didn’t want to issue to become bigger. I just took everything lightly. However, acceptance is always the answer and everything turned out fine after that.



Today is a non-working holiday, in respect to our Muslim brothers and sisters on their end of Ramadan. It was supposed to be a rest day for me but it was also the only chance for me to clean the house. And so I spent the day cleaning, without taking breakfast at all! However, I took a heavy 'brunch'.



I was so busy cleaning when my daughter suddenly approached me saying, “Mommy, I have a surprise for you!” It was really a great surprise for she showed me the ring I lost! I smiled, hugged and thanked her as I asked her where she found it. She told me she found it under the stairs weeks ago but she just kept it first for it might be lost. Probably she forgot about it and just remembered to give it back to me today. My husband was happy to see the ring but was uncertain if it was really the ring, when Kaira showed him the ring. At least, it was a good news for him.



Meanwhile, I really cannot imagine how it was found under the stairs of our home. As far as I can recall, it was lost in the production area. Well anyway, what is important is, I had my ring back. It is really nice to have a something ‘treasured and lost’ back. I hope I could do the same for all the treasured people and things I lost. I hope to have them back, if it would be possible to do so…



-maron-


01october2008


19:20 hrs

No comments: