Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Tribute for Toby

I first met Tobias "Toby" Propalde, Jr. on November 6, 2007. My gradeschool-highschool friends had an impromptu adventure to Pagsanjan Falls then. Planned on All Saint's Day through SMS while I was in the cemetery, my friends and I met at Bay Church on November 6 morning. Unknowingly, one of my highschool friends, Nonoy, brought along with him 2 other friends he introduced as 'Marlow' and 'Toby'. Mar was Noy's ex-officemate at Smart Communication while Toby was Noy's housemate. Riding 2 cars in convoy, 7 of us (Vince, Chill, Noy, Toby, Mar, my husband Lem and I) headed to Cavinti, Laguna to start our journey.

I am the type who doesn't talk too much especially with new acquaintances. But with Toby, he was so kind, courteous and friendly that he usually start the conversation with his new friends. Toby calls me 'Ate Rons.' Admittedly, I am older than him by 6 years and it is really right for him to call me 'Ate.' With his 'Bisaya' intonation and childlike acts, he seem so humble, 'malambing' and open to admit to new acquaintances that he is afraid of heights. He seem to be out 'bunsoy' in the group. That was the time when we were queueing as we do the 'practice' for rapelling down to Pagsanjan Falls. He said it was his first time but he succesfully surpassed this trial.

The activity was full of fun and photos and all cherished that moment. Toby and I had a few exchange of SMS, as few chats in yahoo whenever we happen to catch each other online but never met again until 2 years after.


On July 2009, Chill and I planned another adventure to Caramoan Islands in Camarines Sur. We booked a flight for those who confirmed---again, the 6 of us: Chill, Vince, Noy, Mar, Lem and I. Another friend, Hazel, also planned to join until she cancelled the booking in October due to conflict in schedule. By that time, Toby also informed us that he wanted to join the trip. I was the one who personally booked his flight, using my credit card and voluntarily communicated with him the details through mobile phone because I wanted him to join that trip. I want him to experience what we will experience in Caramoan Islands.

After all the planning, November 20, 2009 came. Chill, Vince, Noy, Mar, Toby, Lem and I met at NAIA at 5am for our flight to Legaspi City. The trip was a very memorable and enjoyable one. With the refreshing sceneries and good friends with you, you will really appreciate the beauty of the place. We spent 3 days exploring Caramoan Islands and Legaspi until we travelled back to Manila on 22nd of November 2009 and parted ways from NAIA airport.

Again, I had a few, seldom chats and SMS's with Toby until I received a bad news in early May 2010 that Toby was confined at the Dr Victor Potenciano Hospital (formerly Polymedic). Chill and I hurriedly planned a visit for Toby. We individually went out of the office earlier than normal on May 5, 2010 to pay a visit for Toby.

We had mixed emotions when we saw Toby in the hospital bed. Toby was smiling and had a very positive disposition on his condition. At the same time he was very thankful that we took effort to visit him. Vince was also there through a phonecall and talked heart-to-heart with Toby. Mar and Noy had been there before. They were actually the ones who told us about the news.

Toby introduced Chill and I to his roommates, brother and girlfriend. He introduced us as the ones who were with him during his Pagsanjan and Caramoan trip. According to him, the Caramoan trip was his most memorable and most enjoyable trip and he was so proud to experience such adventures. He even boasted with his officemates our pictures during the trip.
After long chats, Chill led a prayer for him, all of us with tears, except Toby. We prayed for Toby's speedy recovery. After the prayer Toby asked us why everyone was crying. He told us that we should not cry because he will get well soon. Before we left, Toby asked for help from us--- any kind of support --- prayers, referrals, financial, emotional, etc. Before Chill and I left the hospital, Toby was full of hope. While on the bus on the way home, I sent SMS to my cousin who is a doctor and advised Toby on how to get benefits from PCSO.

After that, I occassionally sent Toby SMS to check his condition. I had few chats with him through yahoo. I heard good news from him that he was already released from the hospital, that he stays in Cavite, that he had already gone back to work, that he took alternative medications, etc. All the while, I thought everything was doing good. Not until end October 2010 when I heard from Chill that Toby was confined back to the hospital.

All Saint's Day came and I spent the whole day in the cemetery celebrating my Dad's life. I had a long day then that I decided to take a leave on November 2. My vacation leave was so worthwhile. I cooked that day, I cleaned the house, fixed some stuff and decided to go online on Facebook at 5pm. To my surprise, I saw a very shocking photo in the newsfeed. I saw a picture of Toby with captions "In Loving Memory of Tobias 'Toby/Jojo" Propalde, Jr. August 17, 1983 - November 2, 2010". I was so shocked and clicked into the photo to see the link. It was his sister-in-law who posted it and the photo mentioned that Toby rested in peace at 10:15am. I almost cried. With teary eyes, I sent SMS to my friends who also knew Toby. All were shocked as well as they just got the news from me. Everyone was sad as we have lost a true friend who, at a very young age, acquired this illness that is almost uncurable!


To our dear TOBY, we will truly miss you. I am thankful that I had a chance to know you. Our 3 years of friendship seems to be a lifetime already! You are a very good man and you are loved. You will forever stay in our hearts! Be happy for you feel no more pain. May you enjoy eternal life with our Creator!

To the loving family left by Toby, our deepest condolences and sympathy for you. We will help you pray for Toby and may you continue to be strong in emotion and strong in faith. God bless you always!


---maron---
03november2010
22:44 hrs



















































































No comments: