Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I Wanna See You Soon

Today, I volunteered a Unilever-initiated Summer Camp for Resources for the Blind Incorporated (RBI). Vision-impaired children 9 to 13 years of age stayed at the Rizal Recreation Center near San Pablo City, Laguna from April 12 to 14 for fun and learning activities.
I was also happy that I learned new things today. I learned and experienced how to be a sighted guide. I learned the techniques and tried to make the blind children comfortable with me. I learned how to guide them eat their food, how to walk with them, how to guide them towards a chair and towards a dining table.
My heart was so touched seeing the blind children learn to be independent. They are used to not seeing things around them. They made bracelets and handicrafts, they eat by themselves and they know how to move around. Of course, more often they need a sighted guide but it was so amazing to observe these children learn be sensitive to their surroundings. They seem so happy despite the fact that they were not blessed with the sense of sight. They move and mingle with people normally.
At first, I remember my kids as I saw the blind children. Kaira and Keziah wear eyeglasses. Keziah had her eye surgery when was three years old. I just can't imagine if the pediatric opthalmologist did something wrong in that procedure making my kid vision-impaired! Thank God it did not happen four years ago during her operation. Their eyesights are actually improving as the years go by and I feel to lucky that they are not impaired.
It's quite difficult to lose eyesight. I really admired these kids that they learn to enjoy life even if theirs are not complete. I hope normal people will learn to appreciate God's gift, despite the material things lacking in their lives. Let's learn to be contented and be happy of what we have, as what the blind children do despite the fact that they cannot see God's creation around them.


-maron-
13april2010
21:56 hrs

No comments: