Friday, October 2, 2009

Learning to be Rude

Because Philippines was expecting a super typhoon Pepeng, the morning was so gloomy today. Besides, I woke up having difficulties in breathing. I am having asthma attack since yesterday and yet I needed to go to the office to have my things cleaned up, after typhoon Ondoy almost destroyed Manila. Though my airtube is constricted, I forced myself to stand up, take a bath, get dressed and eat breakfast. My husband prepared my asthma apparatuses, thus I easily had my nebule doses before I left for the office.

Seeing the aftermath of typhoon Ondoy in the office was such a disaster! The carpet had been removed and we were stepping on plain, wet and sticky concrete. Though the main door and emergency exit door was left opened for proper ventilation, there was still a strong fishy, stinky odor in the entire room. Water, around 2-3 inches high, was inside my drawer. All my documents filed in the lowest level of the drawer were wet and stinky.











All were busy drying, scrubbing, sanitizing, sorting and organizing each's files---others for drying and keeping while others are put straight to the "confidential docs for shredding" bags. The team shared a Chowking lunch and most left at around 2pm, rushing home to avoid the possible early attack of another super typhoon Pepeng. Having no choice, I needed to stay for the 2:30pm telecon for Project New World.


The telecon lasted for about an hour. Right after the telecon, I collected the files I hung which I tried to dry, then hurriedly went off to free myself from Pepeng. Rushing home, I took the LRT until Buendia station and rode a bus bound to Las Pinas---my usual route when I'm in a rush.



It was a normal 'way home' for me. Getting off from the train, I rushed down the train station stairs, turned right to get on a bus waiting for passengers. I normally don't choose seats in buses. I am not choosy with the location, whether it's on the front area, middle area or rear area of the bus. I don't choose seatmates. As long as he/she does not look suspicious, I sit with him/her. What I am after is the convenience where I can easily pass by and get off, especially when I bring along with me much luggages, like a while ago. I had my laptop and other personal things inside my back pack, plus I have another shoulder bag where I put things I needed to bring home and dry in my house. So this time, the most convenient seat was beside a sleeping man on the two-seat row, in the middle portion of the bus.



The man was not too young and not too old---maybe between 25-30 years old (?) He looks ordinary but not suspicious at all. He was not so tall, maybe around 5'4" - 5'5", dressed in a polo shirt, jeans and holds a plastic envelop with documents on his hand. Someone who looks like a job seeker but not too neat-looking at all. I never paid attention at him. First, because he was sleeping. Second, I have no other intention for him as long as I needed to be seated in a convenient seat. Third, I am so tired carrying all my things with me and what I only had in mind is to be home soon!



Trying to make myself confortable in my seat, I transferred by backpack from may back to my lap and secured my should bag on my lap as well. I reached for my mobile phone to slip in my stored value train ticket inside my mobile phone case. It is where I put the ticket so that I do not forget it whenever I change bags. After that, I tried to send SMS to my husband to inform him where I was. However, I received an SMS from a colleague, replied to her first before I sent SMS to my husband. After sending the text message, I reached for my coin purse to get money for the bus fare and then my phone rang. Another colleague was calling asking me how many people from my department is coming on Monday for the resumption of regular business hours. I talked to her but then I referred her to my boss for he is in a better position to answer her questions. After the conversation, I again sent an SMS to give the caller my boss' mobile phone number. The bus conductor then came, asked my destination and then I paid for the ticket, not realizing that somebody was observing my acts. Upon settling myself with all the things I did while inside the bus, I was surprised when the man suddenly talked to me, "Miss pwidi bang nakipagkilala?"



I was really shocked! We were already in Libertad then. All the while I thought he was sleeping. I never looked at him at all. I never noticed him and I never paid attention to him. To my combined shock and annoyance, my defense mechanism was to become snobbish to him. And so I just shook my head to reject his offer. I never looked at him nor even turned my head to the right to talk with him. I was very frugal with my words but he continued the conversation, "Bakit? May asawa ka na ba?" Snobbishly, I nodded to confirm as I tried to show off the wedding ring on my finger. I tried to look for another seat but there was no other space available.



This time, we were in Baclaran. Since I need to reply to an SMS from a colleague, I can't help but share with her that I was annoyed with my bus seatmate. After seeing my confirmation about my marriage status, the man never stopped. He continued to ask, "Taga-Las Pinas ka?" This time, I was disgusted. If only there is another seat I can take, I would have transferred. I did not answer his question but replied to him rudely, "Baket?" And then he said, "Taga-Las Pinas din kasi ako."



In my mind, I was thinking, "And so?! Who cares if you're from Las Pinas?!" I didn't reply then nor showed any acknowledgement to stop the conversation but when we reached Coastal Mall, he again uttered, "Miss, pwidi bang makuha ang number mo." All he received was a big shaking of the head from me! I was so exasperated then! I continued to ignore him, send SMS to my husband, tried to call him up as we decided to meet in SM Center, along with the kids, to do our Pepeng-preparation activities. Later on, I noticed that the man was sleeping. I was thankful and relieved.



After passing through the Coastal toll gate, slow movement of the traffic happened just before we reached the end of the express way. Unfortunately, the heavy traffic jam made more chance for the man to continue his rude acts. While the bus was situated under the Zapote flyover, waiting in the long and slow queue of vehicles, the man suddenly talked again, "Miss, pwidi bang makuha number mo?" Annoyed but trying to be polite this time, I gave him shake of the head. I was about to give him the number of my husband, or the number of my friend, or any other dummy number but I thought that it would not help at all. He even might think that I am willing to accept his offer if I gave him a number and so I just rejected.



Unfortunately, it took around 30 minutes more for us to travel from Zapote to SM Center, just near the Las Pinas Municipal Hall. There was a very heavy traffic and as the destination took longer to be reached, the more I was annoyed by the acts done by that man.



RFC Mall came and he did his third attempt. "Miss! Miss!" he said. I pretended not to hear him but then he talked louder. "Miss! Miss!" I slightly turned my head to him and when he saw that I responded, he again told me, "Pwidi ba makuha number mo?" To my annoyance, I gave him a big shake of the head, stood up and transferred to another seat nearer to the front. Luckily, there was a vacant seat there and it is easier for me to get off the bus in that area. Since I was about to alight the bus, I really needed to go nearer the door.




Just before getting off the bus and sitting on the new slot where I transferred, lots of things came into my mind. Why did the man act like that? Is he insane? Is he a swindler or a pick-pocketer? What if he becomes my stalker? Though firm with what I did, I honestly have fears that that man had a bad intention on me.



I was so conscious and cautious when I alighted the bus. I walked fast and kept on looking at my back to check if the man followed me. When I saw my husband waiting for me in front of BDO, I was relieved. I told him the experience I had in the bus and was very curious about it.



Having this experience, I am still asking myself if I did the right thing. Showing rude acts is not me but given the relentless questioning of the man, I think it's the only way to deal with him. I just hope that there will be no bad karma for me.





-maron-


02-03october2009


21:24 - 00:55 hrs





.










No comments: